I made gingerbread houses with my class this week, the kids loved it!
It’s super easy. I send a letter home asking parents to send in one of the items below.
You will need the following items
- Hot glue gun
- White frosting
- Graham Crackers (each student will need 3 whole Graham Crackers cut in half so that they have 6 pieces each
- Assorted candies ~ like gingerbread man cookies marshmallows, gum drops, mini candy canes, starlight peppermints, M & M’s, Skittles (whatever candy you like)
- Optional but recommended plastic table cloth (makes clean up super fast) I get mine at the dollar store
Each student will need
- 1 Disposable plate ~ paper, Styrofoam or plastic is fine (Christmas themed is nice)
- 1 Paper cup or bowls
- 1 Popsicle sticks
- 1 Small milk container – We saved our milk boxes from lunch. We rinsed them out and let them dry upside down for a day.
- 1 Zip lock bags
- 1 ~ Optional large Cellophane bags to take the craft home. (purchased from the dollar store)
- Use the glue gun to glue the top of the milk carton so that it stays closed. Then hot glue the milk carton to the center of the plate. This is necessary as it will keep the house in place otherwise it moves around.
- place the graham crackers and assortment candies in a zip lock for each student. This will prevent everyone touching the candy.
4. Put some white frosting in paper cups or small bowls for each child. Now give them each a Popsicle stick to spread the frosting on the milk carton. The frosting acts like glue it will stick to the carton and the cookies and candy.
5. Once the frosting is on add graham crackers.
6. Add candies use the frosting to make the candies stick to the house.
When your done you can put the houses in cellophane bags to take home. I get my bags at the dollar store 3 for $1.00 they come with cards and ribbon.